Depression is a highly common but very debilitating issue that can easily take over someone’s life if it is not treated. Thankfully, there are numerous options for treating depression. It is a complex illness, so not every person dealing with it will be as receptive to the same type of treatment. It is very important to explore these different options to find the most suitable choice. Depression treatment is never an overnight matter and typically involves persistent treatment.
Many patients with depression can benefit greatly from the use of prescription medications. The most commonly prescribed antidepressants are from a type of medications known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). These medications mend chemical imbalances that appear in depressed patients and can be used as part of a short to long term treatment method. However, which medication works best depends on each individual person and a number of factors such as their genetic make-up. Finding the right medication can sometimes take a while. During this period though it is vital to keep in contact with a doctor and report any and all side effects to help narrow down the medication options until the right one is found.
Therapy is another treatment option that can be used on its own to treat depression or used alongside medication. Different types of therapy will help clients work on different areas that affect their depression such as thoughts patterns, mood control or stress management. Helpful therapy options that can combat depression include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy: This form of psychotherapy helps patients understand what thoughts and feelings influences their behaviors. This therapy is commonly used to treat a variety of disorders such as addiction, depression, anxiety and certain phobias.
- Biofeedback: This is an assessment where the patient is connected to electrical sensors that provide information from their body. Some treatments employ this method to help give patients an idea of how their body and mind reacts to specific thoughts and emotions.
- Family therapy: This form of therapy involves the therapist speaking with the patient and their family. This gives the therapist a chance to analyze how the patient acts within the family and assess the entire family dynamic. Additionally after the assessment has been made, therapists can suggest constructive ways for patients and their families to communicate more efficiently.
- Equine therapy: This method employs the use of therapeutic horses. For example, patients will be asked to control specific behavior of the horse without touching them and by using no force. Horses are known for mirroring the emotions of those handling them, so the horses’ reaction to their handlers are monitored in an effort to promote personal growth on the part of the patient.
Inpatient treatment programs
Inpatient or residential treatment programs offer patients consistent, intensive and individualized attention. In these programs, patients live in a treatment facility and receive consistent treatment for their depression, without the institutional feeling of a mental hospital. Residential programs typically offer individual counseling, psychotherapy and group therapy classes that focus on improving coping skills, music classes, art classes and other activities that help inspire patients.
Outpatient treatment programs
Outpatient treatment programs offer most of the same services as inpatient treatment programs, while allowing patients to reside outside of the facility. These programs are typically not as intensive, but can work well for those who have already completed an inpatient program or who do not require full-time enrollment.
The Depression Treatment Helpline is committed to helping those who suffer from depression and other mental health disorders find effective depression treatment options. If you know someone who is suffering from depression and is in need of treatment, please contact the Depression Treatment Helpline at 866-619-5591 to find the best depression treatment programs in your area.
- Ways to support spouse battling depressionDecember 24, 2018 - 6:07 am
- Playing sports can help teens cope with depressive symptomsJune 8, 2018 - 6:21 pm
- Tips to manage postnatal depressionMay 21, 2018 - 10:56 pm
- Indonesia sees homosexuality as mental disorder, but defers criminalization of gay sexMay 3, 2018 - 7:34 pm